Wrexham Council homepage

Advertising

Agenda and minutes

With effect from 1 April 2016 Agenda and Minutes will be available in both Welsh and English. Reports are working documents and produced in English only in accordance with Welsh Language Standard 41 of this Council’s Final Compliance Notice from the Welsh Language Commissioner.

Venue: Meeting Room 1, Guildhall

Contact: Sarah Royce  Committee Officer

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillors William Baldwin, T Alan Edwards and Rondo Roberts.

2.

Confirmation of Minutes pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To sign as a correct record the Minutes of the Meeting held on 14 March 2019

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the Minutes of the Meeting held on 14 March 2019 be signed as a correct record.

3.

Update on Member Development pdf icon PDF 103 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Democratic Services

Minutes:

The Workforce Development Lead presented a report (CE/09/19) to present to the Committee a quarterly report on Member Development workshops co-ordinated by Workforce Development for the period 1 April 2019 to 30 June 2019.  Appendix 2 to the report and a list of proposed future Member Development sessions were tabled.

 

Members considered the remaining Member Development budget and asked questions of the officer.  During debate the following matters were raised:

 

·         Proposed that invitations to Member Development sessions be sent from workforce development via an electronic diary appointment to enable Members to indicate attendance.  Members also requested that all Council officers use this method when inviting Members to other appointments/events.  The Head of Democratic Services Officer to check if  this functionality was available to all staff.

·         Requested that additional IT training and in particular iPad training be provided to all Councillors as a matter of urgency as this was considered an essential skill in undertaking the duties of Councillors.  It was requested that a document outlining the functionality of the iPad be provided by the IT service to Members and that a representative from IT be requested to attend the next meeting of the Committee to report on the range of IT training that could be offered to Members.  The Chair confirmed that he would also raise the issue with the Chief Executive and relevant officers.

·         Suggested that political groups could consider appointing individual IT Champions to support their group members.

·         In considering future training dates Members stressed the importance of providing a range of start times for sessions in order to maximise attendance.

 

RESOLVED –

 

(i)         That the remaining Member Development budget and planned future Member Development sessions be noted.

 

(ii)        That invitations to Member Development sessions be sent from workforce development via the Outlook Diary system to enable Members to confirm their attendance at training sessions.

 

(iii)       That a representative from the IT service be requested to attend the next meeting of the Committee to provide information regarding IT training and in particular iPad training and that an information sheet outlining the functionality of the iPad be provided to Members.

4.

Member Annual Reports pdf icon PDF 92 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Democratic Services

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Head of Democratic Services submitted a report (COGC/28/19) to set out the process for the preparation of Annual Reports by Members of this Local Authority for the 2018/19 municipal year.

 

Members noted that under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 Local Authorities must make arrangements to enable Members to produce an annual report.  A template for Member Annual Reports would be offered to Members, however there was no requirement for Members to follow the template.

 

RESOLVED – That it be noted that all Members are invited to submit their Annual Reports for 2018/19 to the Head of Democratic Services by 31 July 2019.

5.

Forward Work Programme pdf icon PDF 128 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Democratic Services

Minutes:

The Head of Democratic Services submitted a report (COGC/29/19) to consider items for inclusion in a Forward Work Programme for the Committee during the current municipal year.

 

RESOLVED – That the Forward Work Programme be agreed.

6.

Any other items which the Chair decides are urgent

Minutes:

The Chair was of the opinion that the following matter be dealt with as a matter of urgency in accordance with Section 100B (4) (b) of the Local Government Act 1972 by reason of the fact that it would be unnecessarily delayed if held over to the next meeting.

 

Webcasting of Meetings

 

The Head of Democratic Services reported that the Procurement service were currently exploring options for webcasting.  It was proposed to invite the current provider Public-i to give a demonstration of the latest technology and systems available.  Members of this Committee would be invited to attend in order to be better informed.